Additional Support for Professionals
Recovery Outcomes is designed to manage substance use disorders (SUD) and optimise treatment. We assist with addiction-related referrals from professionals, by offering their patients the benefit of our extended continuing care.
Our Recovery Outcomes programme provides affordable, continuing care for these individuals with drug or alcohol problems. It is suitable for those who have previously completed a more intensive, initial period of treatment. Most often this is a 3-week period as an inpatient.
“Relapse rates in the first 18 months are in the range of 50% to 70% – most of these occur in the first 30 to 90 days.”
The value of a Continuing Care Programme
Evidence strongly supports the value of continuing care in improving outcomes in chronic conditions. This includes addiction. Most treatment programmes recognise the need for extended recovery support. Many advise clients to commit to 12-step programmes and to continue with professional follow-ups. However, drop-out rates are disappointingly high.
How Continuing Care can help
Successful continuing care programmes have been developed which improve outcomes in chronic mental disorders. Physical conditions such as diabetes, asthma and HIV are also addressed via this programme structure. Through research and expertise in these fields, these programmes are now expanding into addiction.
A study reviewing 20 years of continuing care efforts in Substance Use Disorders (Mckay 2009), arrived at the following conclusions:
- There is a need for longer duration of contact (at least over 12 months)
- Programmes should involve more active (assertive) outreach attempts. Including low-burden service delivery systems, such as the use of a telephone
- Programmes should include systematic monitoring of treatment relapses and incorporate adaptive algorithms that guide ongoing modification of treatment
- Provide incentives to patients and counsellors that promote sustained participation
- Medication should be incorporated in treatment when there is evidence for effectiveness
Recovery Outcomes Support System
- Our nurse led 24-month continuing care package involves face to face telephonic contact and counselling
- When appropriate – urine / blood / breath monitoring
- Information is captured on an IT system that tracks indicators of progress
- We inform the referring professional of each contact and quarterly reports are provided
- The nurse will alert the professional and attempt to set up an appointment with the referring professional if there are concerns
- Opiate substitution is also supported by the Programme under the supervision of the treating doctor
Managing patients with chronic disorders remains a challenge for the medical profession. Issues with missed appointments and medication compliance remain problematic. Substance use disorder management faces the same and probably more complexity. Patients are often lost to follow-up post discharge.
Busy professionals do not have the time to regularly perform biological testing and make phone calls to contact patients.
Recovery Outcomes supports you and your patient in managing the disorder. You will stay up to date with your patient’s behaviour and process.
- Referral of new patients
- Opiate Substitution Therapy – testing and reporting to protect the practitioner medicolegally
- Regular contact and referral back to you in times of crisis
- Active follow-up and reminders
Alcohol is the fourth leading cause of death in the USA (NIAAA)